FEDERAL ROAD SAFETY COMMISSION ACT
(CAP 141 LFN)
National Road Traffic Regulations, 2004
Commencement: 12th January, 2004
In exercise of the powers conferred on it by section 5 of the Federal Road Safety Commission Act, as amended and of all other powers enabling it in that behalf, the Commission hereby makes the following Regulations:
PART I – REGISTRATION OF VEHICLES
1. Application for registration of veicles. Form MVA 1. Schedule 1.
(1) Any person applying to register a vehicle shall submit to the Authority an application for registration duly completed as in Form MVA 1 specified in Schedule 1 of these Regulations and pay to the Authority the fees as may be prescribed and published by the Joint Tax Board from time to time.
(2) An application to register a vehicle shall be accompanied by-
(a) an invoice and payment receipt of an accredited motor vehicle dealer; and
(b) a certificate of payment or exemption from payment of import duty issued by or under the authority of the Nigeria Customs Service, where the vehicle is an imported vehicle.
(3) An application to register—
(a) a trailer; or
(b) a commercial vehicle, with the axle weight or any of its axle exceeding 10 tonnes or tandem axles exceeding 16 tonnes gross weight,
shall be accompanied by the permission in writing given under the provisions of regulation 79 of these Regulations.
2. Registration and assignment of number plates.
(1) Subject to paragraphs (3) and (4) of this regulation the Authority, shall on receipt of a proper application and fee, if any, register the particulars of the vehicle and if the vehicle was not previously registered in Nigeria, or if the vehicle was previously owned by an exempted body within the meaning of regulation 140(2) of these Regulations assign to it a number plate with the local government code.
(2) All auctioned vehicles may be assigned number plates provided the application is accompanied by an evidence authorising such auction and relevant payment receipts.
(3) Any vehicle whose category is to be changed may be assigned identification number provided it was previously registered. Where it was registered in any State other than the one in which the change of category is being sought, the change of category form must be accompanied by a certificate of clearance from the police.
(4) If any person applies for a special identification number/mark in respect of a vehicle used by an exempted body, the Authority may, with the approval of the Principal Licensing Officer and on payment to the Authority of the prescribed fee, assign to the vehicle the special identification number/mark for which the application has been made:
Provided that the number plates shall be in the series controlled by the Authority or specially permitted by the Authority.
Please see full document in the download section below