- March 29, 2021
- Posted by: Dayo Ige
- Category: Meetings
The Theme of the meeting was “Achieving Tax Friendly Environment and Ease of Doing Business in Nigeria Through Harmonized Taxpayer Database: Leveraging on the new JTB TIN Registration System”.
The Board deliberated on various issues and adopted the following resolutions:
- An effective tax administration system is a prerequisite for achieving ease of doing business in the country.
- The New National TIN Registration System and Consolidated Taxpayer Database is a medium for Revenue Authorities in the country to enhance internally generated revenue in a sustainable and inclusive.
- That in line with the directive of the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, official Identity Management Agencies in the country such as the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) through the Nigeria Inter-Bank Settlement System (NIBSS) and National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) should as a matter of urgency, release to the Joint Tax Board (JTB) all individual records required for the population of the Consolidated Taxpayer Database.
- Change Management is necessary for optimal success of the New TIN Registration System and the JTB shall embark on regional Go-Live programs across the Six Geo-Political Zones of the country.
- Under the emerging opportunities presented by the New TIN Registration System and Consolidated Taxpayer Database, the Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS) and State Revenue Authorities should explore new and innovative methods of collaboration.
- To promote a friendlier tax environment, State Revenue Authorities should endeavor to strengthen the channels of engagement with the Local Government Councils to ensure coherence in the administration of tax in the respective States.
- The Joint Tax Board to continue its collaboration with the Chartered Institute of Taxation of Nigeria (CITN) especially in the areas of capacity building and professionalization of the Tax profession.